US honored American veterans of Ukrainian origin
Meanwhile Ukraine celebrates Defender of Ukraine Day
October 3, in the town of South Bound Brook (NJ) a monument to honor American veterans of Ukrainian origin was unveiled, UaPost.
Among the guests of the event were the Commander of the National Union military veterans Ihor Hron, Metropolitan Anthony (Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.), Metropolitan Stefan (Ukrainian Catholic Church in the U.S.), bishop Daniel (Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.), Reverend fathers Yurii Sivko, Mykola Filyk, Vasyl Pasakas.
This event was timed to a new state holiday - Defender of Ukraine Day, the first celebration of which is today. The holiday replaced the former February 23's holiday called Defender of the Fatherland Day, which has its origin in the Soviet Union.
In Kyiv a rally dedicated to the heroes and political prisoners is held. The march also dedicated to the 73rd anniversary of Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA), nationalist paramilitary and later partisan army that engaged in a series of guerrilla conflicts during World War II against Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, Czechoslovakia, and both Underground and Communist Poland.
These events of the Kyiv downtown are attended mainly by far-right activists, who came here to honor their nationalistic leaders - Stepan Bandera, Roman Shukhevych, Yevhen Konovalets. They also brought some posters "Ukraine and God come first", as the 14th of October has some religious origin - since the far-rights believe the Mother of God (also known as Theotokos) to be their patroness.
Pentagon spots unsuccessful launch of North Korea ballistic missile 16 October, 13:07
Nuland goes to Moscow to discuss Donbas 4 October, 08:37
Putin is ready to negotiate with any US president 26 October, 16:26
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Vodyane, Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
- UKRAINE TOP 21:18Ukraine slaps Russian airlines with 28 million dollars fine
- RUSSIA19:47Foreign Ministry: Russia must release Sushchenko and other detained Ukrainians
- FINANCE19:00IMF confirm visit of their mission to Ukraine in November
- POLITICS18:14Amnesty International: Karpyuk, Klykh fell victims of Russian parody on justice
- POLITICS17:31Avakov: Russia can only be defeated by united worldwide opposition
- SPORT16:48Boxing: Lomachenko and Russian boxer pose wearing T-shirts with Ukrainian trident
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:03Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case