UN to provide Ukraine with additional polio vaccine
600 thousand injections are already provided to prevent Ukrainian children from getting polio infection
United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) is prepared, as appropriate, to supply an additional poliovirus (polio) vaccine, stated UNICEF Representative in Ukraine Dragoslav Popovic, Ukrinform.
“I think this is good news that with the help of the Government of Canada and the United States, with their financial support, we have brought the vaccine to the country. Also we have got an additional amount of the vaccine from France ... A delay in vaccination increases the risk for children. So, we will deliver as much vaccine. If you need to get some more injects, we will provide some more,” said Dragoslav Popovic.
June 27, UNICEF has received confirmation from all the laboratories that this virus does circulate. This means that all the children of Ukraine are the risk group, and they should receive the immunization against the virus and against all the symptoms of polio.
"We all know that polio immunization program in Ukraine, lasting for more than four years, was not proper. Now we need to cover more than 90% of children," noted UNICEF Representative.
A poliomyelitis outbreak in recent years occured in Zakarpattia, and 600 thousand poliovirus vaccine injections were sent to the region.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 07:53Donbas: 122 mm shells hit Bohuslavske, Luhansk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:18Stratfor: Motorola murdered either by militants or Russian special services
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas