UN stresses urgent funding needs for Ukraine
Only 34% of the assistance to the Ukrainian IDPs could be covered
Over the past ten years, the number of people in the world, who need help of the United Nations, has increased nearly five times. This is reported by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), according to UN radio. UN states that the organization does not have enough funds to help the countries, which need emergency assistance. Ukraine has joined the list of such countries, together with Sahel, Yemen, and Somalia.
Humanitarian urgency across Ukraine continue to grow as violence escalates. UN reports that only 34% of the needs of Ukrainian IDPs could be covered. The total amount of the required assistance for the country is $316 mln. It is also highlighted that access to those in need, who live in the ATO area in Donbas, is limited due to insecurity, bureaucratic obstacles, as well as logistical problems.
At the beginning of 2015, some 78 mln people from 22 countries suffered destitution and had a need for humanitarian support. Most of them required emergency assistance. One of the main reasons hindering the work of humanitarian organizations, is the lack of funding. The total budget deficit for humanitarian aid is around $12.5 bln.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Vodyane, Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
- UKRAINE TOP 21:18Ukraine slaps Russian airlines with 28 million dollars fine
- RUSSIA19:47Foreign Ministry: Russia must release Sushchenko and other detained Ukrainians
- FINANCE19:00IMF confirm visit of their mission to Ukraine in November
- POLITICS18:14Amnesty International: Karpyuk, Klykh fell victims of Russian parody on justice
- POLITICS17:31Avakov: Russia can only be defeated by united worldwide opposition
- SPORT16:48Boxing: Lomachenko and Russian boxer pose wearing T-shirts with Ukrainian trident
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:03Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case