UN chief: Paris climate agreement will enter into force on November 4
73 countries and EU as regional organization are now participants of Paris Agreement
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said that the Paris climate agreement will come into force as of November 4, 2016. It is reported by the UN News Center.
Canada, Bolivia, Nepal, the European Union and New Zealand joined the agreement during the round table meeting.
“This is a momentous occasion”, said Mr. Ban. "What once seemed unthinkable, is now unstoppable. Strong international support for the Paris Agreement entering into force is a testament to the urgency for action, and reflects the consensus of governments that robust global cooperation, grounded in national action, is essential to meet the climate challenge,” he added.
The pact will enter into force 30 days after at least 55 countries, accounting for 55 per cent of global greenhouse emissions, deposit their instruments of ratification, acceptance or accession with the Secretary-General.
Earlier this week, New Zealand and India signed onto the Agreement, following the 31 countries which joined at a special event at the UN on 21 September during the UN General Assembly’s general debate. Earlier that month, the world’s two largest emitters, China and the United States, joined the Agreement.
Ban Ki-moon urged all Governments and the private sector to achieve the implementation of the new treaty, to take urgent action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and to support the most vulnerable communities to adapt to the inevitable impacts of climate change.
UN chief also urged States that had not yet ratified the Paris Agreement, to join the circle of participants in the near future.
He also recalled that in November Marrakech will host the 22nd Conference of the member countries of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change.
Source: UN News Center
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
Poroshenko to meet with Stoltenberg in Brussels 20 October, 10:25
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars