Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine introduced the possibility to get ID-card instead of paper passports for all Ukrainians from November 1. This is written in the Government Decree №745 of October 26.
"Using the funds of the Unified State Demographic Registry to start the registration (including the return of lost or stolen), the exchange of passport of citizens of Ukraine with contactless electronic Identification Card, sample form of which is approved by this decree as of November 1", reads the statement.
In particular, the approved samples and technical description of the form of the passport in the form of cards and the procedure for registration of the issuance, exchange, transfer, removal, return to the state, destruction given to the requirements of the Law of Ukraine "On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine regarding the documents confirming the citizenship of Ukraine, of identity or her special status to liberalize the EU visa regime for Ukraine".
In addition, with the adoption of the Act Ukrainian passport will be:
- Issued by the centers of administrative services;
- Produced only in the card form comprising a contactless electronic medium;
- Granted to every citizen of Ukraine who has attained the age of fourteen;
- Made out to persons under the age of eighteen years for four years, and persons who have reached eighteen years of age - for every 10 years;
- Contain information on the tax number (registration number of the taxpayer's registration card from the State Register of natural persons - payers of taxes) or a notice of refusal to accept the registration number of the taxpayer registration card.
The law foresees switch to biometric passports, specifically, the ID cards. The document belongs to the package of the bills that Ukraine should pass so as to obtain the visa-free regime with the EU.
The explanatory note says that the actual bill aims to confirm the list of IDs that verify Ukrainian citizenship or the special status of particular person and sets legal differences between the IDs with and without the implanted digital device.