Ukrainians celebrate Presentation of Jesus at the Temple
The Christian holiday marks the transition from winter to spring
On February 15, the Orthodox and Greek Catholics in Ukraine celebrate Presentation of Jesus at the Temple, an ancient Christian holiday. Liturgies are held at churches across the country, including Kyiv Pechersk Lavra. People consecrate talismans, water and candles; some believe that candles can protect their homes from lightning.
The holiday is celebrated on the 40th day from Christmas. Orthodox and Greek Catholic Churches mark that on this day, the Son of God met people on Earth, as Virgin Mary brought him to the temple in Jerusalem for the first time.
On this day, people mark the transition of winter to spring. The country lore says if the weather is sunny and there’s no wind, the spring will come early and it will be warm.
Donbas: Avdiivka under mortar fire 13 October, 23:58
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:57Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Avdiivka, Donetsk region
- SPORT22:42UEFA Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk defeats KAA Gent 5-0
- POLITICS21:30Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:44‘DPR’ militants: Debaltsevo remains
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:01Russia against return of Debaltsevo under control of Ukraine, - Peskov
- UA & EU19:39Czech Senate demands from Russia to stop supporting militants in Donbas, - Gerashchenko
- FINANCE18:44Ukrainian Parliament passes draft law of 2017 state budget in first reading
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:01Normandy Four wants OSCE armed mission to stay in Donbas only during elections
- POLITICS17:58Russian Defense Ministry: humanitarian pause in Syrian Aleppo extended for a day
- RUSSIA17:12Peskov: Putin agrees on placing OSCE police mission in Donbas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars
18:42, 20 October Poroshenko, Orban meet in Brussels