Ukrainian writer won the prestigious Polish award Angelus
Ukrainian poet and writer Serhiy Zhadan was awarded for his novel "Mesopotamia"
Ukrainian writer Serhiy Zhadan won the prestigious literary award Angelus, which Poland provides to the best writers in Central Europe, Polityca.
The jury awarded the prize for Zhadan’s book "Mesopotamia," which was translated into Polish in 2015. In Ukraine, the novel was published in 2014.
"Mesopotamia" is not a political writing, it’s the ballad about Ukrainian reality and confusing fate of the residents of Kharkiv. The book combines poetry and prose.
According to the jury, Zhadan is the most prominent Ukrainian writer, said in the publication.
Under the terms of the award, the winner receives a trophy and a check for 150 thousand zlotys (almost $40 thousand). The authors of the Polish translation of the book Michael Petrik and Adam Pomorski also received awards - 20 thousand Zł.
Zhadan became the third Ukrainian author, winning award Angelus. In 2006 Yuri Andrukhovych received it for "Twelve hoops", and in 2013 - Oksana Zabuzhko for "Museum of Abandoned Secrets".
In 2011, the Angelus prize was awarded to Belarusian writer Svetlana Aleksievich, who won the Nobel Prize this year.
"Perhaps, as in the case of Svetlana Aleksievich, premium Angelus will become for Serhiy Zhadan a step to getting the Nobel Prize? We wish him this", said jury member Justyna Sobolewska.
The award ceremony takes place in Wroclaw.
‘DPR’ militants: Debaltsevo remains 20 October, 20:44
Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds 20 October, 21:30
Russia against return of Debaltsevo under control of Ukraine, - Peskov 20 October, 20:01
UEFA Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk defeats KAA Gent 5-0 20 October, 22:42
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:57Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Avdiivka, Donetsk region
- SPORT22:42UEFA Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk defeats KAA Gent 5-0
- POLITICS21:30Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:44‘DPR’ militants: Debaltsevo remains
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:01Russia against return of Debaltsevo under control of Ukraine, - Peskov
- UA & EU19:39Czech Senate demands from Russia to stop supporting militants in Donbas, - Gerashchenko
- FINANCE18:44Ukrainian Parliament passes draft law of 2017 state budget in first reading
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:01Normandy Four wants OSCE armed mission to stay in Donbas only during elections
- POLITICS17:58Russian Defense Ministry: humanitarian pause in Syrian Aleppo extended for a day
- RUSSIA17:12Peskov: Putin agrees on placing OSCE police mission in Donbas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars
18:42, 20 October Poroshenko, Orban meet in Brussels