Ukraine marks the Unity Day
Citizens joined hands with each other forming human chains across the country, symbolizing the national unity
On January 22, Ukraine marks the Unity Day.
In 2016, citizens celebrate the 97th anniversary of proclamation of the Unification Act. Signed in 1919, the document earmarked the merge of the Ukrainian People’s Republic and the West Ukrainian People’s Republic – two the-then state formations on the territory of modern Ukraine.
The agreement was aimed at creating a unified Ukrainian state, a movement long awaited by the intelligentsia on both sides. In the USSR, all discussions and public actions that had anything to do with Ukrainian nationalism were strictly banned, so citizens didn’t celebrate the holiday for a while. Under 1999 presidential decree, it gained the status of the official state holiday.
Traditionally for this day, the “live chain”, a mass public action took place at Paton Bridge in Kyiv, as well as in many other cities and towns across the country. This year’s action started at 8 a.m., with citizens unfurling the 30-meter-long national flag.
Watch the video:
The live chain of unity has been a long-standing tradition to mark the holiday in Ukraine. To mark the 71st anniversary of the signing of the Act Zluky in 1990, over 300,000 Ukrainians created a human chain (approximately 482 km) from the capital Kyiv to Lviv (western Ukraine). That took place on January 21, 1990. The chain proved to be the largest public demonstration in Ukraine since the beginning of Glasnost in the USSR.
Ukrainian leaders joined the citizens and took part in the flower-laying ceremony to monuments of great poet Taras Shevchenko and famous historian Mykhailo Hrushevsky.
President Petro Poroshenko congratulated his compatriots on the occasion of the holiday in his video address. As is known, the Head of the state is currently in Davos, Switzerland where he chairs the Ukrainian delegation at the World Economic Forum.
Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine 23 October, 18:06
Ukraine’s cyclist wins bronze at European Championship 23 October, 13:14
33 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ 23 October, 11:23
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:58Steinmeier: EU might fall
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:15Bezsmertny: Real ‘disengagement line’ and one defined in Minsk agreements are different
- POLITICS09:28Chyigoz case: Another court session to be held on Monday
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:46Donbas: Mines hit Ukrainian positions in Luhansk region
- SPORT08:00Usyk gets WBO Fighter of the Year award
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars