Ukraine marks the Paratrooper's Day
It has been celebrated annually for decades; since 2014, Ukrainian warriors also have been honoring their comrades who perished in Donbas conflict
On August 2, Ukrainian paratroopers celebrate the Day of Highly Mobile Airborne Forces, otherwise the Paratrooper's Day. In this country, it is marked annually since 1999, under the respective presidential decree.
The airmobile forces consist of formations, units and elements of the army and the army aviation, trained for combined activities behind the enemy lines. They are supposed to perform various combat missions – engaging the enemy from the air, participating in counter-terrorist and peacekeeping operations and many more tasks that other units and means are unable to solve.
Currently, the very service branch of Ukrainian paratroopers undergoes essential reforms – first of all, the structure of the service and its combat capabilities.
Currently, Ukraine’s Airborne Forces structure consists of five brigades and a training centre.
For years, the airmobile forces have proved they are in constant combat readiness and are the high mobility branch of the Ukrainian military. Since the 1990s, Ukrainian paratroopers have served in peacekeeping missions to the Balkans, in Iraq, Kuwait,Lebanon, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Ethiopia, Georgia and Congo.
Since 2014, Ukrainian paratroopers have been marking this date not just a their professional holiday, but also as a day of memory for their fallen comrades who perished during the ongoing armed conflict on Donbas.
Poltorak: 173 Ukrainian servicemen killed in Donbas since early 2016 6 October, 21:43
Donbas: Avdiivka under mortar fire 13 October, 23:58
Donbas: 122 mm artillery shells Shyrokyne 10 October, 08:35
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 16 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- POLITICS23:21MPs to increase themselves salaries as of November 1
- SOCIETY22:18Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators
- SOCIETY21:39Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY20:34Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:31OSCE SMM: Disarmament paused in Donbas
- POLITICS19:31Italy’s Renzi forces retreat from new sanctions on Russia
- POLITICS19:14New leak from WikiLeaks: Obama’s emails from 2008 campaign revealed
- UKRAINE TOP 18:35Searches at Kseniya Babych: National Union of Journalists of Ukraine express their concern
- SOCIETY18:17Searches at Kseniya Babych: Investigators believe first interrogation is most important
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars