Ukraine marks the Day of veterans of the war in Afghanistan
About a hundred of veterans perished in Donbas by now
On February 15, Ukraine pays tribute to the Afghan war veterans. The Day of warriors who fought in foreign countries is marked in Ukraine annually on this day. Prime Minister Arseniy Yatseniuk and Parliamentary Speaker Volodymyr Greusman congratulated the veterans.
Yatseniuk, in particular, stressed that veterans of Afghanistan had to fight once again – this time at home front, “to protect their own Motherland, freedom, dignity and life itself”. “We pay honor to those who fought in that distant war, again claiming that Ukrainians want peace, and they know its price, and they’re ready to stand for it”.
The speaker’s congratulation was posted at the Parliament’s website. Volodymyr Greusman noted that during military actions in Afghanistan, almost 3 thousand Ukrainians perished, and even more returned home wounded or crippled. “We are grateful for this deed; we thank all those who stood tall. On behalf of the Parliament, thank you for your heroism, courage and selflessness. Stay healthy, happy and serve our Motherlland loyally!”, the statement reads.
President Petro Poroshenko and other high-ranked officials laid flowers to the monument of Afghan war veterans.
Watch the video:
According to Serhiy Kunitsyn, Head of all-Ukraine Association of Veterans of War in Afghanistan, at least 110 veterans were killed in the combat zone in Donbas since the beginning of the conflict; about 400 were wounded.
Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas 26 October, 19:34
Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors 26 October, 20:56
Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics 26 October, 21:49
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:44Militants increase fire activity: 72 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:05Russia sends its 57th humanitarian convoy to Donbas
- SOCIETY08:14Russia provides Netherlands with MH17 materials
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:18Ukraine in Minsk insists on primacy security issues and OSCE border control
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case