Ukraine marks Flag Day
The holiday is marked annually on August 23 and is followed by the Independence Day
The State Flag Day is marked since August 2004, under respective presidential decree. The document states that the official ceremony of raising of the state flag takes place at 9 a.m. on August 23. The flags are flown above administrative buildings in Kyiv and all regional and district centers of the country.
112 Ukraine TV channel broadcasts the festivities in Kyiv live.
For the first time Ukraine’s state flag was raised over the Parliament’s building on August 24, 1991; that’s the same day when the Declaration of Independence was approved.
The modern national flag of Ukraine has quite a long history. Since the medieval period, the blue and yellow colors have featured in banners of Ukrainian state. The current combination of blue and yellow stripes was first used in 1848, when the flag was flown in Lviv, western Ukraine, where the national consciousness awoke amidst the so-called Spring of Nations, when most of the European countries saw the rise of nationalist movements. Even as the Bolsheviks fought for power in Ukraine, they used the blue-yellow flag for some time – in 1917-1919.
Donbas: Avdiivka under mortar fire 13 October, 23:58
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:15Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes
- SOCIETY14:31US extends ban on flights of aircraft in Simferopol and Dnipropetrovsk
- UKRAINE CRISIS 13:44Trilateral contact group returns to work in Minsk, - Tandyt
- SOCIETY12:55SBU interrogates Savchenko as witness in Ukraine’s territorial integrity infringement case
- SOCIETY11:58Lutkovska calls on Russia’s Ombudsman to rethink transfer of Sentsov, Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY11:14Groysman: We conduct large-scale reform of local self-government in Ukraine
- SOCIETY10:3180 human rights organizations urge not to allow Russia to UN Human Rights Council
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:43Donbas conflict: 40 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- SOCIETY08:58Netherlands consider two options for MH17 trial
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain