Ukraine marks Day of Liquidators of Chernobyl disaster
On December 14, 1986 they completed construction of the sarcophagus over the destroyed reactor
Ukrainians pay honor to liquidators of the Chernobyl disaster. On this day, back in 1986, the group of firefighters and other specialists completed the construction works on the sarcophagus over the destroyed 4th unit of Chernobyl NPP. The unit blew up during a nuclear disaster in April 1986, and it has been the epicenter of radioactivity ever since. The blast lifted the cloud of radioactive dust that passed over Ukraine and several more countries, polluting the air, soil and water. Thanks to the sarcophagus, built by the liquidators of the disaster in Ukraine, the spread of radioactive particles was seized and taken under control.
The Chernobyl nuclear catastrophe is considered one of the heaviest man-made disasters of the 20th century. As the time passed, tourists from Ukraine and abroad showed increasing interest in “Chernobyl tours” – a kind of sport and tourist activity, which includes visiting safe sections in the 30-km exclusion zone around the Chernobyl power plant. Organizers of such tours remind that the Chornobyl Disaster “changed the trajectory of our civilization development, it is the most evident contribution of Ukraine into the global history. The Chornobyl Zone, with the nuclear power plant (NPP), which doesn’t produce energy anymore but instead paradoxically consumes it, and an abandoned ghost town of Pripyat, – are like a time machine, let you see the events past and realize how both history and nature works. The intricate ensemble of hundreds of impressive technical and cultural monuments is surrounded and engulfed by flourishing nature, which has gone wild in this area”. Many of those who join such tours are photographers, since Chernobyl zone offers a lot of interesting places to visit and plenty of good pictures to be taken.
In March 2012, Ukrainian movie maker Myroslav Slaboshpytsky shot a short film called “The Nuclear Waste” (at the screenshot below). The film took the “Silver Leopard” prize of the 65th Festival del Film Locarno. According to Slaboshpytsky, his film tells a short story of a man and a woman working in the exclusion zone.
Ukraine's President Petro Poroshenko and other leaders of the state laid flowers to the monument of liquidators of the Chernobyl disaster in Kyiv.
Watch the video:
Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas 26 October, 19:34
Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors 26 October, 20:56
Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics 26 October, 21:49
- SOCIETY11:21Savchenko in Moscow walks on Red Square and visits Ukraine’s Embassy
- POLITICS10:32NATO describes rotation of forces in Eastern Europe
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:44Militants increase fire activity: 72 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:05Russia sends its 57th humanitarian convoy to Donbas
- SOCIETY08:14Russia provides Netherlands with MH17 materials
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case