Ukraine commemorates victims of WWII
June 22, 1941, marks the beginning of the Soviet-Nazi war; Ukraine lost about 10 million people in the conflict
Today, Ukrainians mark the Day of Mourning and Honor of Victims in the Second World War. To Ukraine, this is a special date, as it was June 22, 1941, when Hitlerites attacked Ukraine both by land and from the air. On the same day, early in the morning, Nazi aircraft dropped bombs on Kyiv.
The casualties in the war were enormous on both sides. The Soviet Red Army alone lost over 6 million people who were killed or died of wounds. About half a million died of diseases, were executed or lost their lives in accidents. 4.5 million more were captured or gone missing. By and large, the USSR lost about 26 million people in that war. 10 million of those were Ukrainians – both military men and civilians.
The Day of Mourning and Honor of Victims in the Second World War is marked in Ukraine annually since 2000.
In the frameworks of the common solemn ceremony taken on this occasion, top Ukrainian officials will lay flowers to the Grave of the Unnamed Soldier.
Donbas: Avdiivka under mortar fire 13 October, 23:58
- SOCIETY14:31US extends ban on flights of aircraft in Simferopol and Dnipropetrovsk
- UKRAINE CRISIS 13:44Trilateral contact group returns to work in Minsk, - Tandyt
- SOCIETY12:55SBU interrogates Savchenko as witness in Ukraine’s territorial integrity infringement case
- SOCIETY11:58Lutkovska calls on Russia’s Ombudsman to rethink transfer of Sentsov, Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY11:14Groysman: We conduct large-scale reform of local self-government in Ukraine
- SOCIETY10:3180 human rights organizations urge not to allow Russia to UN Human Rights Council
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:43Donbas conflict: 40 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- SOCIETY08:58Netherlands consider two options for MH17 trial
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:16Steinmeier: Minsk agreements help to prevent fire in the heart of Europe
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:5925 attacks from Russia-backed militants reported, - ATO HQ
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain