Twitter restores Putin parody account: BBC
Twitter has been accused of a sense-of-humour failure after it temporarily suspended a popular parody account that pokes fun at Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Russia watchers have been dismayed in recent days to find themselves denied the satirical delights offered to his 50,000-plus followers by @DarthPutinKGB.
They also found themselves briefly bereft of four other Russian-themed parody accounts, including @SovietSergey, a lampoon of Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, and @AmbYakovenkoNot, which mocks the Russian ambassador to Britain, Alexander Yakovenko.
All of the suspended accounts, including @SovietSergey, have now been reinstated. But DarthPutinKGB's suspension in particular provoked much indignation from Twitter users, and also plenty of humour.
Well-wishers tweeted their support for the suspended Darth and criticism of Twitter using the hashtag, #NoGulagforDarthPutinKGB.
Brian Whitmore, Russia Analyst for Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty - which is funded by the US government - even penned a mock obituary of the parody president, featuring a selection of his bons mots.
"Don't believe anything the Kremlin doesn't first deny";
And "Russia has cut defence spending. Attack spending remains unchanged."
Some Twitter users posted screenshots of one of Darth's final quips before he was suspended - about the Russian president's recent visit to Greece. This was the Opinion Editor of the Moscow Times:
Among Darth's high-profile supporters were the real Estonian President Toomas Hendrik Ilves.
And former world chess champion and Kremlin critic Garry Kasparov, who accused Twitter of "taking lessons on censorship from the Kremlin".
Read full article here
Merkel, Hollande may discuss sanctions against Russia at EU Summit 20 October, 08:56
Normandy four meeting finished, Poroshenko leaves 20 October, 00:58
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:57Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Avdiivka, Donetsk region
- SPORT22:42UEFA Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk defeats KAA Gent 5-0
- POLITICS21:30Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:44‘DPR’ militants: Debaltsevo remains
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:01Russia against return of Debaltsevo under control of Ukraine, - Peskov
- UA & EU19:39Czech Senate demands from Russia to stop supporting militants in Donbas, - Gerashchenko
- FINANCE18:44Ukrainian Parliament passes draft law of 2017 state budget in first reading
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:01Normandy Four wants OSCE armed mission to stay in Donbas only during elections
- POLITICS17:58Russian Defense Ministry: humanitarian pause in Syrian Aleppo extended for a day
- RUSSIA17:12Peskov: Putin agrees on placing OSCE police mission in Donbas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars
18:42, 20 October Poroshenko, Orban meet in Brussels