Today is Defender of Ukraine Day
Holiday concerts, exhibitions and festivals all over the country are planned for today
Ukraine is celebrating the Defender of Ukraine Day. This is a holiday to honor courage and heroism of the defenders of Ukraine’s independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity. It’s slogan is “Strength of the unbowed”. Starting from 2015, this day is considered a public holiday.
The holiday was approved by the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine last year instead of the Soviet holiday Defender of the Motherland Day celebrated on February 23.
Ukrainian Institute of National Memory note that the holiday of Holy Protection has always been the main holiday for Ukrainian fighters – for the Cossacks, Ukrainian People’s Republic, the Ukrainian Insurgent Army, etc.
October 14 was announced a day off. The President Petro Poroshenko believes that the Defender of Ukraine Day should be celebrated massively like Christmas, Easter or the Independence Day.
Apart from the Defender of Ukraine Day, Ukrainians celebrate the holiday of Protection of the Blessed Virgin and the day of .creation of the the Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA).
Holiday concert, exhibitions, festivals and other festivities are planned for today all over the country.
Donbas conflict: 40 attacks reported, - ATO HQ 25 October, 09:43
Militants increase fire activity: 72 attacks reported, - ATO HQ 27 October, 09:44
- SOCIETY11:14Ukraine marks anniversary of 1944 release from the Nazis
- RUSSIA10:33Putin: Russia may resume gas supplies to Ukraine any moment
- POLITICS10:02UN starts discussion on complete ban of nuclear weapons
- POLITICS09:15Ukraine, France discuss placing OSCE police mission in Donbas
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:30Donbas: 54 attacks on Ukrainian positions over last 24 hours
- POLITICS07:50Klimkin: Normandy Four foreign ministers could meet in late November
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Vodyane, Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
- UKRAINE TOP 21:18Ukraine slaps Russian airlines with 28 million dollars fine
- RUSSIA19:47Foreign Ministry: Russia must release Sushchenko and other detained Ukrainians
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case