This year Odesa city celebrates its 600th birthday
The festive events take place August 26 - September 6
Day of Odesa will surprise its visitors and residents with amazing eventful holiday program.
The main event of the Day of Odesa is traditional festive concert on the Potemkin stairs, which is scheduled for September 2. Shows, art exhibitions, open-airs will gather the citizens. Celebration of the 25th anniversary of the World Club of Odessa Citizens will also take place these days. An air show and Air Freestyle show are prepared as a part of the festive program.
The City Council also plan to unveil the bust of Heorhiy Marazli, city mayor from 1878 to 1895, who sponsored many buildings and educational institutions in Odesa.
Odesa was founded by Haci I Giray, the Khan of Crimea, in 1440 and originally named after him as "Hacıbey". The city was named in compliance with the Greek Plan of Catherine the Great. It was named after the ancient Greek city of Odessos, which was mistakenly believed to have been located here.
The governor of the Odesa region is Georgian politician Mikheil Saakashvili, called a “competitive authoritarian” by different media and human rights organizations. Now he is fighting against corruption in Odesa. Saakashvili also reduced the number of state administration staff, introduced new patrol police, fired the director of the largest Ukrainian commercial port, and creates a center providing administrative services of the Georgian sample.
- POLITICS09:15Ukraine, France discuss placing OSCE police mission in Donbas
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:30Donbas: 54 attacks on Ukrainian positions over last 24 hours
- POLITICS07:50Klimkin: Normandy Four foreign ministers could meet in late November
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Vodyane, Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
- UKRAINE TOP 21:18Ukraine slaps Russian airlines with 28 million dollars fine
- RUSSIA19:47Foreign Ministry: Russia must release Sushchenko and other detained Ukrainians
- FINANCE19:00IMF confirm visit of their mission to Ukraine in November
- POLITICS18:14Amnesty International: Karpyuk, Klykh fell victims of Russian parody on justice
- POLITICS17:31Avakov: Russia can only be defeated by united worldwide opposition
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case