The most expensive diamond Oppenheimer Blue brought to the hammer
Diamond weighing 14.62 carats sold for a record $ 57.5 million
Yesterday, May 18, the Oppenheimer Blue, the biggest diamond in the world weighing 14, 62 carats
was sold for a record $ 57.5 million at the Christie's auction in Genève, says the site of the trading house.
"This is the most expensive diamond that was sold at an auction ever", – says Christie's twitter.
The previous record belonged to Blue Moon of Josephine diamond. It was sold for $ 48.6 million
at Sotheby's auction in November, 2015.
Oppenheimer Blue's estimated value was from $ 38 million to $ 45 million, the auction started from
$ 30.4 million.
The sharp increase in rates over the estimated cost of the exceptional blue diamond at $ 38 million caused a fierce bidding among private collectors. There were only three of them left in the dying seconds. The room burst into applause when the hammer banged the last time and announced the final amount of the lot", – reports at Christie's.
The diamond was named after Phillip Oppenheimer. His family had held the shares in the corporation De Beers for 80 years, which is engaged in mining, processing and selling natural diamonds.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:44Militants increase fire activity: 72 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:05Russia sends its 57th humanitarian convoy to Donbas
- SOCIETY08:14Russia provides Netherlands with MH17 materials
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:18Ukraine in Minsk insists on primacy security issues and OSCE border control
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case