The Independent: Corpse flower that ‘smells of death’ blooms for the first time in a decade
The largest - and smelliest - flower in the world is on display at the New York Botanical Garden
Visitors flock to the New York Botanical Garden all summer long for whiff of its fragrant blooms.
On Friday, they were drawn to an altogether less inviting odour.
Known as the “corpse flower”, it emits a pungent odour of rotting meat, luring pollinators that feed on dead animals.
The six-foot plant - it grows much taller in its natural habitat of Indonesia - has not bloomed for a decade, and has been carefully tended by horticulturalists here in the Bronx every day.
In the conservatory, visitors moved around the pond to try and catch a whiff from the largest flower in the world.
One of them was 29-year-old biology student Ronveer Chakraborty.
“It only blooms for a few days so the opportunity is limited,” he said.
“I can’t think of anything else which compares to this.”
Read the full article here.
Poroshenko invites American companies to join National Investment Council 28 September, 19:33
Pentagon spots unsuccessful launch of North Korea ballistic missile 16 October, 13:07
Nuland goes to Moscow to discuss Donbas 4 October, 08:37
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars