The Holocaust: the world commemorates victims of the Nazi crime
On January 27, Ukraine joins the international community to pay honor to those who perished during the Holocaust
The world mourns for victims of the Holocaust, an infamous genocide in which approximately six million Jews were killed by the Nazi regime and its collaborators.Some historians use a definition of the Holocaust that includes the additional five million non-Jewish victims of Nazi mass murders (Soviet POWs, Poles, Gypsies, homosexual men and people with disabilities and terminal diseases), bringing the total to approximately eleven million. Killings took place throughout Nazi Germany and German-occupied territories.
Since 2005, the international community has been commemorating the Holocaust victims on January 27. On this day in 1945, the Soviet army released prisoners of German concentration camp Auschwitz-Birkenau (now Oświęcim, Poland). By various estimates, up to 4 million people died there. Historians failed to tell the actual number of victims, because many important documents from the camp were destroyed.
In 1947, a museum in memory of the Holocaust victims was opened on the camp’s territory; later it was included into the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order 24 October, 22:37
Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations 24 October, 21:04
- SOCIETY08:58Netherlands consider two options for MH17 trial
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:16Steinmeier: Minsk agreements help to prevent fire in the heart of Europe
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:5925 attacks from Russia-backed militants reported, - ATO HQ
- UA & EU23:22Ukraine, Montenegro, Albania, Liechtenstein and Norway join EU anti-Russia sanctions
- POLITICS22:37Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order
- RUSSIA21:53Russia opens criminal cases against six Ukraine’s Armed Forces commanders
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain