State of emergency in Crimea: 1.89 mln people suffer from power outage
The power lines exploded at the administrative border with mainland Ukraine
State of emergency is announced in Crimea in connection with the total power blackout, which embraced the whole peninsula, which is now occupied by Russia, TASS. The power that had been supplied from Ukraine was stopped because of the blowing up the electricity lines at the very administrative border between the peninsula and mainland Ukraine. The explosion occured near 11:40 PM, November 21, the power line has fallen and could not be restored.
Important local infrastructural facilities are connected to the emergency power supply. 1.89 mln people face the power blackout, and the mobile communications are not working in Crimea. Feodosia, Yevpatoria, Simferopol, Sevastopol, and other cities remain without electricity. Because of the power outages markets and other stores are closed. There is no street lighting in Crimea too.
This is the first large-scale disaster with so serious consequences. November 20, the lines of electricity supply in the Crimea were blown already. According to preliminary information, the mortar shells of caliber 82 mm were placed at the power lines, but they did not explode.
Recalling, from September 20, the activists are blocking all three crossing points between mainland Ukraine and the peninsula: Chongar, Kalanchak and Chaplinka - on the ground not to give a pass to trucks with food to Crimea occupied by Russian Federation. The initiators of the protes action are Crimean Tatar activists and the Majlis member, also the blocking activity is supported by representatives of the Right Sector, self-defense and volunteer battalions.
Smedlyayev: Russian federal security service arrests more Crimean Tatars 12 October, 16:03
U.S. doesn’t recognize Russia’s ban of Mejlis of Crimean Tatars 1 October, 11:00
Ukraine demands that Russia stops prosecutions of Crimean Tatars 12 October, 14:28
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Vodyane, Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
- UKRAINE TOP 21:18Ukraine slaps Russian airlines with 28 million dollars fine
- RUSSIA19:47Foreign Ministry: Russia must release Sushchenko and other detained Ukrainians
- FINANCE19:00IMF confirm visit of their mission to Ukraine in November
- POLITICS18:14Amnesty International: Karpyuk, Klykh fell victims of Russian parody on justice
- POLITICS17:31Avakov: Russia can only be defeated by united worldwide opposition
- SPORT16:48Boxing: Lomachenko and Russian boxer pose wearing T-shirts with Ukrainian trident
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:03Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case