Smileymen to be on charge of sсhoolchildren road safety in Lviv
Pupils all at once nicknamed the new traffic controllers as Smileymen
In Lviv, Western Ukraine, started the Yellow Sirs campaign - new traffic controllers, or so-called Smileymen, in yellow cloaks with “lollypop” beacons will be helping children to cross roads, the press service of Lviv city council reports.
The initiative was presented within the Safe City campaign on road safety measures aimed at reducing the number of car accidents involving pedestrians, particularly children.
“Specially trained Lviv residents will be on charge 40 min before start of lessons in order to shepherd schoolchildren across the road. The campaign is going to be long-lasting. In Europe it is a common practice,” the head of Safe City campaign Oleksandra Paniak said.
The activists ask parents and others to join to the duty since there are still almost 10 dangerous road sections near the Lviv schools.
“We chose most dangerous and dynamic road sections without traffic light. These are the places of enhanced risk and concentration. There the help for schoolchildren is especially needed,” an activist Myroslav Holiak said.
Watch our video
Subtitles On/ Off
- UA & EU13:30MP: Netherlands should take responsibility for decision on EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- FINANCE12:17IMF mission delays visit to Ukraine
- POLITICS11:29Savchenko: ‘I came to support Ukrainians – even if I don’t leave Russia alive’
- POLITICS10:44Trump: Hillary could bring the U.S. to WWIII
- POLITICS10:00Savchenko reaches Russian court as hearing in Karpyuk, Klykh cases goes on
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:21OSCE SMM in Donbas reports limited access to disengagement areas
- UA & EU08:39Klimkin visits Netherlands to promote EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- UKRAINE CRISIS 07:53Donbas: 122 mm shells hit Bohuslavske, Luhansk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas