Russian Defense Ministry: Iceland ‘imagined’ Russian bombers near passenger plane over Norwegian Sea
The incident involving Russian long-range bombers and civilian aircraft took place on September 22
Iceland‘s Foreign Ministry stated that the Russian long-range bombers closed in on a passenger plane over the Norwegian Sea, which is ‘nothing but the phantom of their fantasy’. Igor Konashenkov, the official representative of Russia’s Defense Ministry, said this as quoted by TASS.
According to him, on September 22, Russian long-range bombers Tu-160 flied with their transponders on, at a significant distance from the civilian aircraft. ‘The flight route went over Barents Sea and Norwegian Sea, in accordance with the international rules of use of aerial space’, Konashenkov, the general of the Russian army, said.
The plane was on its way from Reykjavik to Stockholm. The incident took place last Thursday, in the Iceland’s airspace control zone – not far from that of Norway’s. The airliner’s captain unsuccessfully tried to contact the Russian pilots; the bombers stayed at the distance of 15 miles from the passenger aircraft.
The Icelandic Foreign Ministry reported that Tu-160s were at the height of 6,000 to 9,000 feet lower than the civilian airliner that was on its way to Stockholm. Their trasnponders were ‘partially switched on’ but never passed any information on the height and speed of the flight.
Putin is ready to negotiate with any US president 26 October, 16:26
Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics 26 October, 21:49
Trump: Hillary could bring the U.S. to WWIII 26 October, 10:44
Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences 26 October, 17:15
- POLITICS17:31Avakov: Russia can only be defeated by united worldwide opposition
- SPORT16:48Boxing: Lomachenko and Russian boxer pose wearing T-shirts with Ukrainian trident
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:03Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
- SOCIETY14:30Sushchenko needs to be exchanged, - lawyer
- SOCIETY13:30Moscow court rejects appeal on Sushchenko’s arrest
- SOCIETY12:43112 Ukraine becomes best news TV channel 2016
- SOCIETY11:21Savchenko in Moscow walks on Red Square and visits Ukraine’s Embassy
- POLITICS10:32NATO describes rotation of forces in Eastern Europe
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:44Militants increase fire activity: 72 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case