Russian border guards withdraw passports from Ukrainians entering Crimea
Ukrainian citizens are forced to leave their IDs when entering the Russian-occupied peninsula
Border guards of Russia’s FSB (federal security service) seize Ukrainian passports from its holders who come from the mainland Ukraine and cross the border with the illegally annexed Crimea. Press Service of the State Border Guard reported this on March 11.
On Thursday, Kherson Border Guard detachment, southern Ukraine, spotted a Ukrainian citizen who was on his way back from Crimea to the mainland country. The resident of Lviv region had no proper ID, only a Xerox copy of his passport. It turned out that Russian border guards took his passport away from him as he tried to enter Crimea. The citizen said they disapproved the stamp on his photo in the ID. The Russian border guards kept him at the checkpoint for more than 24 hours; they seized his passport, instead giving him its copy, and made an infringement notice. Thus, he had to return to the mainland Ukraine.
Ukraine’s State Border Guard says more such cases have taken place recently.
Ukraine sues Russia for illegal capture of its gas assets in Crimea 19 October, 11:27
Ukraine in UN: Occupied Crimea militarization is dangerous for Europe 13 October, 12:38
Panov and Zahtey in Lefortovo 14 October, 12:49
PACE adopts two resolutions on Ukraine 13 October, 08:35
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars