Russian activist filed complaint to European Court against Russian Federation
Document says that Ionov’s persecution violates the right to freedom of expression, as the protest was peaceful
The 76-year-old Russian activist Vladimir Ionov, who before the sentence for violations at Russian protests arrived in Ukraine, appealed to the ECHR, says "Kommersant" referring to the document.
The document says that Ionov’s persecution violates the right to freedom of expression, as the protest was peaceful. Article 212.1 of the Criminal Code, by which he is charged, is contrary to the European Convention on the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, the document says. The lawyer Irina Khrunova stressed in the complaint that the article punishes twice for the same thing - the citizen first obtains administrative penalties, and then becomes involved in the criminal case.
Khrunova writes that formally Ionov has not exhausted methods of protection in Russia, as the verdict against him has not been imposed.
Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations 24 October, 21:04
EU is ready to discuss introducing new sanctions against Russia 13 October, 10:27
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
- POLITICS12:48Stoltenberg: NATO seeks no confrontation with Russia
- POLITICS12:01UN condemns attacks on schools in Haas village, Syria
- SOCIETY11:14Ukraine marks anniversary of 1944 release from the Nazis
- RUSSIA10:33Putin: Russia may resume gas supplies to Ukraine any moment
- POLITICS10:02UN starts discussion on complete ban of nuclear weapons
- POLITICS09:15Ukraine, France discuss placing OSCE police mission in Donbas
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:30Donbas: 54 attacks on Ukrainian positions over last 24 hours
- POLITICS07:50Klimkin: Normandy Four foreign ministers could meet in late November
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Vodyane, Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case