Russia v. Hasidim in a rare religious Hasidic books rivalry
US court allowed Hasidim to seek from Russia $ 43.7 mln recovery in the case of "Schneerson Collection"
The federal judge ordered Russia to pay a fine of $43.7 million for refusing to return a collection of Jewish books and documents to the Hasidic Chabad-Lubavitch group.
"Given the United States’ current sanctions against Russia and Russian interests based upon various geopolitical events, the court is unpersuaded by such a vague concern in this case," as stated Judge of Federal District Court for the District of Columbia Royce Lamberth TASS. "There is simply no evidence on the record that this case has any impact on relations between the United States and Russia outside of this case," he added.
Schneerson Collection contains of 12,000 books and 50,000 religious documents known as "Schneerson Library". The material was amassed in the two centuries before World War II, and kept since then in Russia.
Russian Embassy in the U.S. refused to comment on the court ruling in the "Schneerson Collection" case.
Biden: At least five EU states are ready to abolish sanctions against Russia 22 September, 15:08
Nuland goes to Moscow to discuss Donbas 4 October, 08:37
Pentagon chief expresses need for nuclear weapons to deter Russia’s threat 27 September, 08:33
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
- SOCIETY14:03Belavia’s passenger plane forcibly landed in Zhuliany airport in Kyiv
- POLITICS13:13Lutsenko: Every third local prosecutor replaced across Ukraine
- RUSSIA12:28Klykh grew insane due to tortures in Russia, - human rights defender
- RUSSIA11:46Russia presents FIFA World Cup 2018 mascot
- RUSSIA11:01Justice Minister: ‘Kremlin will recognize Sentsov, Kolchenko’s Ukrainian citizenship’
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:17Donbas: ‘Grad’ missile launchers shell Troitske, Luhansk region
- SOCIETY09:30UN Security Council: Assad regime responsible for three chemical attacks
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars