Romani people in Ukraine face complicated procedures for getting IDs
The public authorities are passive in resolving the problems with Romani people - Ombudsman
Romani people in Ukraine suffer from complicated procedures of obtaining identification documents, stated Serhiy Ponomariov, the head of the non-discrimination department of Parliamentary Secretariat on Human Rights.
"The Ombudsman has highlighted the problem of Romani-people rights as a priority in 2012. Since then, representatives of the Office together with representatives of civil society organizations has been carrying a systematic monitoring and visits to the Roma community. They analyze the legislation in order to determine what prevents Romani people from the access to obtaining documents. The conducted monitoring showed that the situation in different regions of Ukraine varies. Thus, the most difficult situation is in the Zakarpatia, Odesa and Cherkasy regions, in other regions, these problems also exist, but it is less sharps," said Ponomariov.
According to him, the situation is complicated because the representatives of ethnic group do not trust the public authorities. At the same time public authorities have rather passive attitude to the problems of the Roma community.
Gerashchenko: Ukraine demands that Russia releases Sushchenko 3 October, 10:00
Parubiy: Time to impose visa regime, extend sanctions against Russia 3 October, 12:15
Sushchenko case: Ukrainian reporter arrested for two months 3 October, 11:30
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 16 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- POLITICS23:21MPs to increase themselves salaries as of November 1
- SOCIETY22:18Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators
- SOCIETY21:39Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY20:34Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:31OSCE SMM: Disarmament paused in Donbas
- POLITICS19:31Italy’s Renzi forces retreat from new sanctions on Russia
- POLITICS19:14New leak from WikiLeaks: Obama’s emails from 2008 campaign revealed
- UKRAINE TOP 18:35Searches at Kseniya Babych: National Union of Journalists of Ukraine express their concern
- SOCIETY18:17Searches at Kseniya Babych: Investigators believe first interrogation is most important
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars