Reuters: Suicide bombers hit three Saudi cities
Suicide bomber was killed and two other people wounded in a blast near the U.S. consulate in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Suicide bombers struck three cities across Saudi Arabia on Monday, in an apparently coordinated campaign of attacks as Saudis prepared to break their fast on the penultimate day of the holy month of Ramadan.
The explosions targeting U.S. diplomats, Shi'ite worshippers and a security headquarters at a mosque in the holy city of Medina follow days of mass killings claimed by the Islamic State group, in Turkey, Bangladesh and Iraq. The attacks all seem to have been timed to coincide with the approach of Eid al-Fitr, the holiday that celebrates the end of the fast.
A Saudi security official said an attacker parked a car near the U.S. consulate in Jeddah before detonating the device. The official said the government was checking the reports of blasts in Qatif and Medina.
In the only one of the three attacks that appeared to have caused many casualties, a suicide bomber detonated a bomb near the security headquarters of the Prophet's Mosque in Medina, the second-holiest site in Islam.
Read the full article: Suicide bombers hit three Saudi cities
- SOCIETY11:14Ukraine marks anniversary of 1944 release from the Nazis
- RUSSIA10:33Putin: Russia may resume gas supplies to Ukraine any moment
- POLITICS10:02UN starts discussion on complete ban of nuclear weapons
- POLITICS09:15Ukraine, France discuss placing OSCE police mission in Donbas
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:30Donbas: 54 attacks on Ukrainian positions over last 24 hours
- POLITICS07:50Klimkin: Normandy Four foreign ministers could meet in late November
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Vodyane, Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
- UKRAINE TOP 21:18Ukraine slaps Russian airlines with 28 million dollars fine
- RUSSIA19:47Foreign Ministry: Russia must release Sushchenko and other detained Ukrainians
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case