Religious procession in Kyiv: Safety measures strengthened
Fence and metal detectors installed in the downtown city; police and the National Guard patrol the nearby streets
According to 112 Ukraine TV channel correspondent, the law enforcers gathered in the Kyiv city centre to maintain public safety during the religious procession that is slated for today in the Ukrainian capital.
Streets are blocked for vehicle movement, except for one line on Khreshchatyk street; metal detectors, the iron fence and K-9 dogs are in position already, the reporter says.
The city centre will remain shut off by 5 p.m. Wednesday. The authorities ask the locals to not use their own vehicles to get to the downtown until then, because currently, parking in the downtown is forbidden. All driveways to the European square, in the city centre, are now blocked.
The procession of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church started in Eastern Ukraine in Svyatogorsk Lavra on July 3 and in Western Ukraine in Pochayiv Lavra on July 9. It is planned that the two groups of believers enter Kyiv on July 26, meet on July 27 in Kiev at St. Vladimir's Hill, and together with the Orthodox Kyiv citizens and pilgrims proceed to Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra. The expected number is 30 000 participants.
The law enforcers are on high alert expecting possible provocations by pro-Russian agents.
Kyiv's Theatre on Podil: mausoleum, nuclear power plant, or Kaaba? 30 November, 18:39
Restricted entry for large vehicles in Kyiv due to severe snowfall 1 December, 19:38
5 000 law enforcers to protect public security in Kyiv on Desember 1 1 December, 14:12
Ukraine’s Interior Troops ex-commander on Euromaidan events 2 December, 14:18
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:23Donbas: Shelling in Mariupol direction
- SOCIETY22:44Fidel Castro’s ashes were buried in Cuba
- UKRAINE TOP 22:03Germany does not recognize Crimea as Russia, - Steinmeier
- UKRAINE TOP 21:25House of People’s Deputy was attacked with rocket launcher in Kharkiv region
- UKRAINE TOP 20:32Ukrainian Minister of Internal Affairs is in Canada while Kniazhychi shootout is being investigated
- SOCIETY20:01Mayor and two journalists killed in gunfire in Finland
- SOCIETY19:23Gunfires in Finland: Three people killed near Russian border
- UKRAINE TOP 18:49Lutsenko personally controls investigation of five officers’ death
- SOCIETY18:13Kniazhychi residents talk about robberies by men in police uniform, - media
- SOCIETY17:27Main Christmas tree of the country arrived in Kyiv
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine