Religious procession in Kyiv: Safety measures strengthened
Fence and metal detectors installed in the downtown city; police and the National Guard patrol the nearby streets
According to 112 Ukraine TV channel correspondent, the law enforcers gathered in the Kyiv city centre to maintain public safety during the religious procession that is slated for today in the Ukrainian capital.
Streets are blocked for vehicle movement, except for one line on Khreshchatyk street; metal detectors, the iron fence and K-9 dogs are in position already, the reporter says.
The city centre will remain shut off by 5 p.m. Wednesday. The authorities ask the locals to not use their own vehicles to get to the downtown until then, because currently, parking in the downtown is forbidden. All driveways to the European square, in the city centre, are now blocked.
The procession of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church started in Eastern Ukraine in Svyatogorsk Lavra on July 3 and in Western Ukraine in Pochayiv Lavra on July 9. It is planned that the two groups of believers enter Kyiv on July 26, meet on July 27 in Kiev at St. Vladimir's Hill, and together with the Orthodox Kyiv citizens and pilgrims proceed to Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra. The expected number is 30 000 participants.
The law enforcers are on high alert expecting possible provocations by pro-Russian agents.
Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away 24 October, 19:37
Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators 21 October, 22:18
112 Ukraine TV Channel wired to explode 24 October, 15:47
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
- FINANCE18:44Groysman provides electronic declaration of his possessions
- POLITICS17:57Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo
- SOCIETY17:15Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences
- POLITICS16:26Putin is ready to negotiate with any US president
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:43Trilateral Contact Group meeting kicks off in Minsk
- SOCIETY15:05Novel “Airport” nominated for Shevchenko Award in Ukraine
- FINANCE14:58Groysman: Cabinet to raise minimal salary in Ukraine to USD 125
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:14‘DPR’ capture Ukrainian citizen, charge her with preparing to kidnap their comrade
- UA & EU13:30MP: Netherlands should take responsibility for decision on EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case