Poroshenko: We are building Ukraine with no place for anti-Semitism
Holocaust is the most tragic page in the history of the Jewish and Ukrainian people, the President said
Ukraine perceives the mass murder of Jews during the Second World War as its own grief. The President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko said thi during the events on the occasion of the 75th anniversary of the Babi Yar tragedy.
"We, Ukrainians, are very aware of the sorrow of the Jews, and perceive it as our own. We know how for years and decades the hearts ache for those who died in World War II. Memorial at Babi Yar must become a symbol of unity, a symbol of honor and respect for all Ukrainians, regardless of nationality", Poroshenko said.
He also stressed that Ukraine should not be a manifestation of anti-Semitism.
"Together we are building the Ukraine, where there is no place for anti-Semitism. Thanks to Ukrainians and all the nationalities of the fantastic unity. It is important that all of humanity remembered the bloody facts of the Holocaust, about the dangers of hatred, bigotry and racism", the President said.
Babi Yar is a ravine on the outskirts of Kiev where Einsatzgruppen mobile squads killed at least 34,000 Jews over a one week period in September 1941. Russian estimates put the number of killed at nearly 100,000. Today, Babi Yar has come to symbolize the horrific murder of Jews by the Einsatzgruppen as well as the persistent failure of the world to acknowledge this Jewish tragedy.
Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas 26 October, 19:34
Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo 26 October, 17:57
Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine 25 October, 17:32
Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors 26 October, 20:56
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Vodyane, Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
- UKRAINE TOP 21:18Ukraine slaps Russian airlines with 28 million dollars fine
- RUSSIA19:47Foreign Ministry: Russia must release Sushchenko and other detained Ukrainians
- FINANCE19:00IMF confirm visit of their mission to Ukraine in November
- POLITICS18:14Amnesty International: Karpyuk, Klykh fell victims of Russian parody on justice
- POLITICS17:31Avakov: Russia can only be defeated by united worldwide opposition
- SPORT16:48Boxing: Lomachenko and Russian boxer pose wearing T-shirts with Ukrainian trident
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:03Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case