Police puts car explosion that killed Sheremet as homicide
Ukrainian reporter deceased due to the blast in downtown Kyiv
The press service of Kyiv police says that currently, local investigators put the incident as homicide. That's what the preliminary report says.
The pre-trial investigation kicked off. Investigation group of the Chief department and the regional department of police are working at the site in the downtown Kyiv.
The journalist deceased in the car blast in Kyiv on Wednesday morning (Ukrainska Pravda). The vehicle blew up in the downtown Ukrainian capital at about 7.45 a.m. The car belonged to Olena Prytula, Editor in Chief of the Ukrainska Pravda, famous outlet.
Sheremet was on his way to the studio of Radio Vesti company, where he was supposed to host the radio program.
Pavlo Sheremet was Ukrainian and Russian journalist of Belarusian origin. The 44-year-old is widely famous for his criticism of Russian and Belarusian leaders – Putin and Lukashenko, respectively. Sheremet was imprisoned by the government of Belarus in 1997, sparking an international incident between Belarus and Russia. The New York Times has described him as "known for his crusading reports about political abuses in Belarus"] and "a thorn in the side of Lukashenko's autocratic government".He was awarded the Committee to Protect Journalists' International Press Freedom Award in 1999 and the OSCE Prize for Journalism and Democracy in 2002.
He was married with two children, a son and a daughter. He also had a son with Canadian photographer Heidi Hollinger.
MPs to increase themselves salaries as of November 1 21 October, 23:21
Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators 21 October, 22:18
Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details 21 October, 20:34
Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine 21 October, 21:39
- SOCIETY10:33Free Sentsov action at Ukraine’s film festival in Poland
- SPORT09:49Ukraine’s athletes win five medals at World Cup in swimming
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars