Police brutality in Mykolaiv region: Incident defined as willful murder
Prosecutor’s office of Mykolaiv region, southern Ukraine, reported this on Thursday
The murder of a civilian by the police that most recently took place in Mykolaiv region has been officially defined as intentional homicide. Stepan Bozhylo, Deputy Prosecutor of Mykolaiv region, said this during the briefing broadcasted by 112 Ukraine TV channel on August 25.
Previously, the incident was put as ‘abuse of authority, which led to grave consequences’.
On the night of Tuesday to Wednesday, August 24, Olexandr Zuckerman was killed while being detained by the police. Earlier that night his wife, Alla Zuckerman, called the cops, reporting that her husband, Olexandr, came home drunk and made a racket.
An operational investigative group of Kryvoozersky department of three policemen arrived at the scene.
The law enforcers found 'Lada' car with the smashed windscreen. Another local resident stated he had a conflict with Olexandr Zuckerman, who had knocked the windscreen of his car with a shovel.
When police entered the courtyard, Alla Zuckerman showed his husband sleeping on driver's seat in his car in garage. Further descriptions from the participants of those events and witnesses vary a lot. The police claim that awakened Zuckerman and he attacked them with a shovel and nearly killed. So they applied power and handcuffed him.
But the mother of the dead man and the neighbors say that law enforcers pulled Olexandr out of the car, handcuffed him, took him outside to his car, knocked to the ground and started beating him. At this time came three more police officers, who also joined the beating. All this was done in the presence of Zuckerman's mother, his wife and his son. Some witnesses say that they heard the shots, though shells were not found on the scene. Police stopped beating only when Zuckerman stopped moving. They called the ambulance. When the doctors announced Zuckerman dead, the police simply fled, leaving a dead body in a puddle in the street.
The forensic medical report conducted that Zuckerman died of gunshot wounds. The cause of death was "acute internal bleeding, traumatic heart failure." At least four gunshot wounds were found in the body of the deceased, allegedly from a Flaubert traumatic gun. According to the expert, shots were made at the close range. Two bullets were found in the heart, another one stuck in the lung.
NATO Secretary General: Those responsible for MH17 tragedy should be punished 29 September, 08:44
Mogherini: International community should support MH17 investigation 29 September, 13:35
Dutch FM calls Russia's Ambassador due to MH17 investigation criticism 30 September, 17:22
Interior Ministry to interview Pugachov on September 26-28 26 September, 12:39
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars