Peace Corps run by the US to restore its work in Ukraine
Many volunteers come back to Ukraine after being evacuated at the height of the Euromaidan
Peace Corps resumed its activity only in the center and west of Ukraine - from Poltava to Zakarpattia. In the occupied territories of Crimea and Donbas the mission cannot work yet, Radiosvoboda.
"Many volunteers, who were evacuated in 2014, wanted to come back and “paused” their lives in America, they were not looking for a permanent job, - says head of Peace Corps Ukraine Denny Robertson. - Some confessed that they were checking the mailbox every day, whether some letter of invitation for the mission had come".
The program was suspended in February 2014 at the height of the Euromaidan. At the moment they come in small waves. Since last year more than two hundred evacuees, thirty volunteers have returned. New large group of 59 volunteers are expected to arrive in October. Another group will arrive at the beginning of the next year.
More than 2,740 volunteers have served in Ukraine since 1992, when Ukraine’s first President Leonid Kravchuk and U.S. President George Bush signed an agreement to establish the Peace Corps program. The aims of the initiative is helping the people of Ukraine in meeting their need for trained men and women, promoting a better understanding of Americans on the part of Ukrainians, as well as Ukrainians on the part of Americans.
Nuland goes to Moscow to discuss Donbas 4 October, 08:37
Pentagon spots unsuccessful launch of North Korea ballistic missile 16 October, 13:07
Poroshenko invites American companies to join National Investment Council 28 September, 19:33
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 16 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- POLITICS23:21MPs to increase themselves salaries as of November 1
- SOCIETY22:18Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators
- SOCIETY21:39Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY20:34Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:31OSCE SMM: Disarmament paused in Donbas
- POLITICS19:31Italy’s Renzi forces retreat from new sanctions on Russia
- POLITICS19:14New leak from WikiLeaks: Obama’s emails from 2008 campaign revealed
- UKRAINE TOP 18:35Searches at Kseniya Babych: National Union of Journalists of Ukraine express their concern
- SOCIETY18:17Searches at Kseniya Babych: Investigators believe first interrogation is most important
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars