ONUKA: Chornobyl exclusion zone inspires people
Top 5 of the singer’s quotes about her upcoming EP Vidlik
Ukrainian performer ONUKA, known both in Ukraine and abroad for her works in electronic and folk music, is about to release her new EP called “Vidlik” (The Countdown). The mini-album includes four tracks, two in English and two in Ukrainian. All music on the EP was written by founders and current members of the band – Natalya Zhyzhchenko and Yevhen Filatov.
In our song 1986, dedicated to the infamous Chornobyl nuclear disaster, we used original tapes of dispatchers of fire departments. They sound matter-of-factly, as if nothing was going on at the time, and that’s the scariest thing. As for the piano part, it was recorded in a hut in the forest in Kyiv region. IF you listen carefully, you’ll be able to hear the natural ambience – birds sing, the wind blows and dogs click with their claws against the floor.
The Chornobyl exclusion zone inspires people in its own way; it’s got its special atmosphere, energy and some sort of space. It’s been attracting me since my childhood. The time seems to have frozen there, so this disaster had a huge impact on the ethnographic picture in the region. However, Polissya (northern Ukraine, where Chornobyl is located) is already well known as the most archaic ethnic region of the country.
In my song Svitanok, there’s a verse originally written by Kyiv street artist Jerzy Konopje. I just couldn’t get these words out of my head. And it was this special case when lyrics came before the music - and the song, actually.
For quite a long time, I was sure the smile doesn’t suit me. Perhaps, there were no good reasons for smiling. Sadness is my comfort zone; one rarely wants to leave it.
IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November 27 October, 15:17
Sushchenko needs to be exchanged, - lawyer 27 October, 14:30
Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas 27 October, 16:03
- UA & EU18:43Tusk: EU needs to complete internal procedures for granting visa liberation to Ukraine
- UKRAINE CRISIS 17:59Russian aviation drill airstrikes in Belarus airspace near Ukrainian border, - intelligence
- POLITICS17:29Russian forces may reach Tallinn and Riga in 60 hours max, - RAND report
- UKRAINE CRISIS 17:1835000 militants and 6000 Russia's officers in Donbas reported
- UA & EU16:31Poroshenko, Junker to discuss EU-Ukraine AA ratification by the Netherlands
- UA & EU15:46Netherlands may delay consultations on EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:30Ukrainian Defense Ministry reveals details of Makiivka night attack
- FINANCE14:13French company to store gas in Ukraine’s underground storages
- SPORT13:32Boxing: Usyk’s next fight set out for December 17
- POLITICS12:48Stoltenberg: NATO seeks no confrontation with Russia
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case