One of the al-Nusra Front leaders detained in Kyiv - Security Service
Security Service of Ukraine reported about the arrest of internationally wanted citizen of one of the former USSR republics involved in Syrian military conflict
The Security Service of Ukraine (SSU) in Kyiv detained one of the leaders of the Islamist terrorist organization, the press-service of the agency reported.
"One of the leaders of the international terrorist organization al-Nusra Front who was internationally wanted, is arrested by the Security Service of Ukraine in Kyiv", said in the SSU report.
A citizen of one of the former republics of the USSR in 2013 – 2014 participated in the Syrian military conflict. In 2015, the militant became a head of a separate Jamaat (Muslim assembly) of international terrorist organization al-Nusra Front.
Reportedly, the Shevchenko district court of Kyiv imposed on the criminal the arrest for extradition purposes as a pre-trial restraint. The prosecution authorities initiated extradition proceedings.
To the knowledge, al-Nusra Front is an Islamist terrorist organization operating in Syria since 2012. It is an official branch of Al-Qaeda on the territory of Syria and Lebanon, but in fact has its own management and carries out independent activity. Before the rise of Islamic state, al-Nusra Front was considered one of the most aggressive and radical groups in the ranks of the opponents of the Syrian government. It is recognized as a terrorist organization by the UN, the US, UK, Australia, Turkey and Russia.
Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators 21 October, 22:18
MPs to increase themselves salaries as of November 1 21 October, 23:21
Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine 21 October, 21:39
Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details 21 October, 20:34
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars