On International Day of Peace UN calls for 24-hour ceasefire
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is calling for the laying down of arms and a 24-hour ceasefire
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called on all participants in the conflict to cease hostilities on the International Day of Peace on 21st of September, according to the official website of the organization.
“On this day, in the lead-up to the Day of Peace, I am asking all partners to lend their voices to this call for a laying down of arms, and to work non-stop in the days to come to bring about a 24-hour cease-fire on September 21st,” Mr. Ban said in a statement, issued on Thursday.
He also recalled the theme of the International Day in 2015 - "Partnership for Peace", noting the importance of the joint work of all members of society for the benefit of the world. "Let’s make this International Day of Peace a day without violence, and a day of forgiveness. If, for one day, we can live in a world without aggression and hostility, we can imagine how much more is possible,” Ban Ki-moon added.
To the knowledge, The United Nations General Assembly established the International Day of Peace in 1981 as an opportunity for people around the world to promote the resolution of conflict and to observe a cessation of hostilities. On this day, the UN calls on all countries at least for a day to stop the bloodshed. A short pause is needed to help those who are in need, to intermediaries - to discuss the terms of the armistice, and to the participants of armed conflict - as another chance to think whether to continue the violence.
- FINANCE11:41Ukrzaliznytsia company evades taxes at sum of USD 50 million
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:58Steinmeier: EU might fall
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:15Bezsmertny: Real ‘disengagement line’ and one defined in Minsk agreements are different
- POLITICS09:28Chyigoz case: Another court session to be held on Monday
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:46Donbas: Mines hit Ukrainian positions in Luhansk region
- SPORT08:00Usyk gets WBO Fighter of the Year award
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars