Tornado battalion case: Obolonsky court to continue hearing
All 11 defendants are delivered to the courtroom. The court building is under enhanced security
Obolonsky District Court of Kiev continued hearing the case of former police battalion Tornado, accused of crimes committed in the area of anti-terrorist operation (ATO). This was reported by Ukrainian News referring to the words of the court press secretary Inna Svinarenko.
"The sitting kicked off at 11:40 a.m. The 11 accused were brought from the detention center to the courtroom. In addition, Yuriy Shevchenko, the defendant, whose measure of restraint was changed from detention to house arrest, also arrived accompanied by the guards," - the press-secretary said.
The courthouse itself is heavily guarded by the officers of the National Police and National Guard soldiers.
As it was reported earlier, today Obolonsky District Court of Kyiv begins hearing witnesses on the case of Tornado battalion, whose ex-officers are accused of "forming a criminal organization and committing forcible sodomy threatening with to use violence on the territory of Luhansk an Donetsk regions since December 2014 till June 2015".
They are charged with abuse of power and official authority by a law enforcement body, which was accompanied by violence, threat of violence, use of weapons and special means; misappropriation of the vehicle threatening with violence; false imprisonment and kidnapping; torturing; bring a person to attempt suicide as a consequence of ill-treatment; unauthorized appropriation of power and official ranks connected with the committing socially dangerous acts with the use of the uniform of a law enforcement officer; illegal entry into a dwellings and unlawful conduct searches there, committed by an official with the threat of violence; extortion, committed by an official using his official position and the threat of murder; extortion of official documents, performed from selfish motives that led to the disruption of the institution; misappropriation of a passport of a citizen of Ukraine.
As we reported earlier, hearing of Tornado case was previously postponed several times due to different reasons - the defender didn't show up, or the suspects were not brought to the court room. Every time the activists gathered near the court supporting the defendants, forcing the Police to enforce the guard.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars