Muslims see the new 1438 year
Muslims read the prayer of Muhammad’s emigration from Mecca to Medina in mosques
Muslims celebrated the New Year by Hijra calendar on the first night of holy month Muharram. A new 1438 year started on October 3.
In the Muslim calendar begins from the date when Prophet Muhammad emigrated from Mecca to Medina, known as the Hijra, in 622 AD.
Muharram, the first month in the Islamic calendar, is one of four months when any conflicts, wars and other dissensions are forbidden. Besides, it’s a custom to keep a fast.
Islamic calendar year consists of 12 months and contains 354 or 355 days. Every year the date for the holiday is different every year since the Islamic lunar year is eleven to twelve days shorter than the solar Gregorian year.
As we reported earlier, about 30 000 of Hasid pilgrims arrived to Ukraine’s central city of Uman to celebrate Rosh Hashanah.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:18Stratfor: Motorola murdered either by militants or Russian special services
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:15Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas