Murals: Kyiv style
Team of TV channel TSN.ua made a selection of best murals in the Ukrainian capital as of February 2016
Street art in Kyiv develops rapidly. New murals emerge on the city’s buildings so quickly it’s hard to tell the actual number. TSN.ua made a selection of the most amazing street-arts in Kyiv. Most of them are supposed not only to delight the viewer’s eyes but also to turn attention to burning issues of the Ukrainian society – war, global warming, historical memory et cetera. 112 International now shares some of the murals with its audience.
Mykhailivska Street, 22
A portrait of Serhiy Nigoyan, one of the Heavenly Hundred, the first protester killed during the Euromaidan protest movement in Kyiv in January 2014. The mural created by Portuguese artist Olexandr Farto a.k.a Vhils emerged at Mykhailivska Street in summer 2015.
Akademika Bulakhovskoho Street, 40
It is one of Ukraine’s largest murals created by Alex Maksymov. The artist said it took him almost 90 liters of paint to finish working on the picture.
Akademika Vernadskoho Boulevard, 87
The author’s idea was to divide the picture in two parts that show the struggle between the nature and capitalism. The planet is separated: the bird symbolizes natural things, and the mask conceals artificial things. The mural was created by Spanish artist nicknamed Okuda.
Lesya Kurbasa Avenue, 12
The mural showed up on the wall of “Desantnyk”, the Centre for Patriotic Education of Youth. It shows a warrior returning from Ukrainian Donbas, with his weapon put down and his head up. Social networks users say the picture also includes a coal mine in Horlivka, Donetsk region; the town is currently held by Russia-backed militants. The author is unknown.
Peremohy Avenue, 73/1
The UpTown street art team created this mural in the frameworks of Dynamic Urban Culture Kyiv. The street art was consecrated by priests of the nearby St. Pantheleimon’s Church, and devoted to the Dormition of the Holy Mother of God (marked in Ukraine annually on August 28). “Is there anything more important now than Virgin Mary who has been protecting Ukrainians for ages?”, the mural’s authors say.
See the full selection of Kyiv’s best murals at tsn.ua website.
Kyiv not to congratulate Putin on his birthday, - Peskov 7 October, 20:15
Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators 21 October, 22:18
In Kyiv March of heroes' glory is over 14 October, 18:33
IMF mission to arrive in Ukraine on October 26 17 October, 19:03
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 16 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- POLITICS23:21MPs to increase themselves salaries as of November 1
- SOCIETY22:18Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators
- SOCIETY21:39Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY20:34Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:31OSCE SMM: Disarmament paused in Donbas
- POLITICS19:31Italy’s Renzi forces retreat from new sanctions on Russia
- POLITICS19:14New leak from WikiLeaks: Obama’s emails from 2008 campaign revealed
- UKRAINE TOP 18:35Searches at Kseniya Babych: National Union of Journalists of Ukraine express their concern
- SOCIETY18:17Searches at Kseniya Babych: Investigators believe first interrogation is most important
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars