Monument to Shevchenko established in Riga
The ceremony was attended by Latvian officials, Ukrainian Prime Minister and Ukrainian diaspora
Friday 6, the monument to the Ukrainian poet Taras Shevchenko was unveiled in Riga, Latvia, as reported by the press service of the Ukrainian Cabinet.
The opening ceremony was held with the participation of Prime Minister of Ukraine Arseniy Yatsenyuk, Prime Minister of Latvia Laimdota Straujuma and representatives of the Ukrainian diaspora.
Yatsenyuk said that the appearance of the monument became possible thanks to the Ukrainian community in Latvia and patrons who found a way to raise funds and build a monument to Taras Shevchenko.
He expressed gratitude to the Head of the Government of Latvia for the fact that the Latvian Government has also made efforts to establish this monument in Riga.
Yatsenyuk said that the monument depicts a young poet, "Shevchenko was 23 years old when he wrote his "The wide Dnipro roars and moans", he was 29 when he wrote "The Plundered Grave". He was a young man who showed a vision of the future of Ukraine. His youth looks like young Ukrainian state".
Prime Minister of Ukraine stressed that in the history of Ukraine and Latvia "were some dark pages - the pages of Soviet occupation": "Taras Shevchenko was the man who fought against imperialism and man-hating regimes. He fought for a freedom, for the freedom of the Ukrainian people, and he fought for Ukraine to be a free family. And this family is Europe," he stressed.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars