Monument of Olympic athlete made of Lenin’s statue appears in Sumy
Lenin’s leg from demounted statue was used to create new monument
The sculpture named “the Olympian” is set near the field-and-track show ring in Sumy, northeastern Ukraine, 112 Ukraine TV channel reports.
Its prototype is one of the most distinguished athletes of Sumy region, Volodymyr Holubnychyi, four-time Olympic champion; however, Holubnychyi himself says “the Olympian” doesn’t look like him.
Lenin’s bronze statue in Sumy was destroyed by local activists in 2014, within widely supported de-communization policy.
Ukraine defeats Kosovo 3-0 10 October, 10:38
UEFA Champions League: Besiktas faces Dynamo Kyiv tonight 28 September, 10:29
Fury: ‘Why would I fear Klitschko?’ 10 October, 15:10
Boxing: Fury team changes rematch date again 24 September, 10:47
- POLITICS09:28Chyigoz case: Another court session to be held on Monday
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:46Donbas: Mines hit Ukrainian positions in Luhansk region
- SPORT08:00Usyk gets WBO Fighter of the Year award
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars