Mirror: Thousands of Turkey coup prisoners 'raped, starved and hogtied'
Amnesty International says it has ‘credible evidence’ Turkish police are holding detainees, denying them food, water and medical treatment and in the worst cases some have been subjected to severe beatings and torture
Turkish troops imprisoned after the failed military coup are being raped, starved and left without water for days, it is claimed.
Many of the 10,000 detainees are locked up in horses’ stables and sports halls - some hogtied in horrific stress positions, according to human rights campaigners.
Amnesty International has called for immediate access to prisoners after the coup a week ago which sparked a brutal crackdown and a three-month state of emergency.
More than 200 died in the uprising which aimed to topple dictatorial President Recep Erdogan - and 1,500 were injured.
Amnesty says it has ‘credible evidence’ Turkish police are holding detainees in stress positions for up to 48 hours, denying them food, water and medical treatment and in the worst cases some have been subjected to severe beatings and torture, including rape.
Read the full article here.
Turkey claims that ISIS militants used chemical weapons in Syria 27 November, 15:18
Odesa border guards detain Turk wanted for terrorism 5 December, 14:01
- UKRAINE TOP 10:09SAP calls Onishchenko for questioning on December 13
- SOCIETY09:25Suicide bombers kill 56 people in Nigeria
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:2831 attack reported in Donbas, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE TOP 07:41Ukrainian who put up "Heavenly Hundred Street" sign on the house was detained in Crimea
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:4914 attacks reported in Donbas, - ATO HQ
- asia23:17UN General Assembly called for immediate cessation of hostilities in Syria
- POLITICS22:51Manafort claimed that “shadow accounting” documents are fake
- UKRAINE TOP 22:08Lutsenko: Notice of suspicion against Yanukovych was served according to the law
- UKRAINE TOP 21:33Russia blocked declaration on crisis in Ukraine at OSCE Ministerial Council, - MFA
- UKRAINE TOP 20:31"Naftogaz”: Agreement on gas supplies not signed, Ukraine will not buy gas from Russia
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
00:18, 10 December Yanukovych avoids coming to Prosecutor General's Office in Kyiv
23:59, 9 December European Parliament approves visa-free regime suspension mechanism