Kyiv region suffers from peat fires
26 hectares of the areas are smoldering, affecting six districts near Kyiv city
State Emergency Service (SES) states that 26 hectares of Kyiv region areas are affected by the peat fires. The peat is smoldering in sixlocal districts (Borodnianskyi, Invankivskyi, Vyshhoroskyi, Baryshivskyi, Kyiv-Sviatoshynskyi, and Makarivskyi), and near Irpin town. SES has involved 125 personnel and 35 units of fire-fighting equipment.
The fire-rescue squads work day and night in order to extinguished the fire.
This kind of fires are typical for this part of the country, and Kyiv region in particular. Environmentalists claim that it is a natural phenomenon rather than anthropogenic one.
As was previously reported, thick layer of smoke was observed August 26 in Kyiv city and some nearby towns. A large peat fire accured in drought-stricken territories around Kyiv. Emitted smoke is not toxic, it does not contain air pollutants, which would cause health problems.
Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away 24 October, 19:37
Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators 21 October, 22:18
112 Ukraine TV Channel wired to explode 24 October, 15:47
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:15Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes
- SOCIETY14:31US extends ban on flights of aircraft in Simferopol and Dnipropetrovsk
- UKRAINE CRISIS 13:44Trilateral contact group returns to work in Minsk, - Tandyt
- SOCIETY12:55SBU interrogates Savchenko as witness in Ukraine’s territorial integrity infringement case
- SOCIETY11:58Lutkovska calls on Russia’s Ombudsman to rethink transfer of Sentsov, Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY11:14Groysman: We conduct large-scale reform of local self-government in Ukraine
- SOCIETY10:3180 human rights organizations urge not to allow Russia to UN Human Rights Council
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:43Donbas conflict: 40 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- SOCIETY08:58Netherlands consider two options for MH17 trial
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain