Jamala’s new song 1944 to compete at national contest for Eurovision 2016
The Crimean Tatar performer tells a story of disasters that befell her nation
Ukrainian singer Jamala presented her new song, 1944. The performer is going to compete at the national contest to represent Ukraine at Eurovision 2016 in Stockholm. The national contest will take place February 6 in Kyiv.
Jamala is of Crimean Tatar origin, so for her, this song and the events she talks about in it are very important. “I was inspired by a story that my great-grandmother told me; back in 1944, a disaster happened that hurt my family and the rest of Crimean Tatar families. I’m talking about forceful deportation of Crimean Tatars from Crimea, planned and carried out by the Soviet regime”, she said.
“Actually, this topic is too well familiar for many people in many countries. Many nations survived horrible tragedies – repressions, deportations and genocide… Unfortunately, people still haven’t learned to co-exist in peace and tolerance. I’d like my message to be heard by as many people as possible – both in Ukraine and abroad”, Jamala concluded.
Listen to the song 1944 by Jamala (the audio was taken from the singer’s official Youtube channel):
Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine 25 October, 17:32
Trilateral contact group returns to work in Minsk, - Tandyt 25 October, 13:44
Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes 25 October, 15:15
- POLITICS17:57Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo
- SOCIETY17:15Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences
- POLITICS16:26Putin is ready to negotiate with any US president
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:43Trilateral Contact Group meeting kicks off in Minsk
- SOCIETY15:05Novel “Airport” nominated for Shevchenko Award in Ukraine
- FINANCE14:58Groysman: Cabinet to raise minimal salary in Ukraine to USD 125
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:14‘DPR’ capture Ukrainian citizen, charge her with preparing to kidnap their comrade
- UA & EU13:30MP: Netherlands should take responsibility for decision on EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- FINANCE12:17IMF mission delays visit to Ukraine
- POLITICS11:29Savchenko: ‘I came to support Ukrainians – even if I don’t leave Russia alive’
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas