The European Broadcasting Union has officially confirmed that Russia will not be able to perform at Eurovision 2017. The official statement was released at the organization’s website on late April 13.
‘Russia will no longer be able to take part in this year’s competition. We very much wanted all 43 countries to be able to participate and did all we could to achieve this,’ the message reads.
Frank Dieter Freiling, Chairman of the Eurovision Song Contest Reference Group, the event’s steering committee, said: ‘We strongly condemn the Ukrainian authorities' decision to impose a travel ban on Julia Samoylova as we believe it thoroughly undermines the integrity and non-political nature of the Eurovision Song Contest and its mission to bring all nations together in friendly competition. However, preparations continue apace for the Eurovision Song Contest in the host city Kyiv. Our top priority remains to produce a spectacular Eurovision Song Contest in May.’
Earlier today, Russian Channel One said they wouldn’t be broadcasting Eurovision 2017, which is to take place in Kyiv in less than a month – from May 9 till May 13.
Previously, Ukraine’s Security Service banned entrance for Russia's Yulia Samoylova for three years – due to her previous performances in the Russian-annexed Crimea.
Source: European Broadcasting Union