Human Rights Watch on Kyiv Pride: Positive development of situation
Human rights defenders welcomed peaceful conduct of Equality March in Kyiv
The human rights organization Human Rights Watch (HRW) welcomed the holding of the Equality March, rally in support of LGBT rights in Ukraine in Kyiv on June 12. Wolfgang Bittner, the spokesman of the organization announced it on Monday, June 13 (liga.net).
"This positive development of the situation with the rights of sexual minorities in Ukraine makes us happy, we support it very much”, Bittner says.
He noted that the march of sexual minorities in the Ukrainian capital was held with both internal and external political support.
In particular Bittner noted the role of the President Petro Poroshenko, the European Parliament and individual MPs.
"On the other hand this was due to a change in the laws of Ukraine", he said, recalling the prohibition of employment discrimination based on sexual preference.
However, according to him, Ukraine still needs to strengthen the protection of the rights of the LGBT community.
"Homophobia is still a big problem in Ukraine... It is therefore important to inform the public. It is necessary to guarantee the freedom of demonstration, freedom of thought for LGBT. These freedoms should be secured by the law", Bittner says.
He added that the attitude of society to the rights of sexual minorities indicates the level of democracy.
IMF mission to arrive in Ukraine on October 26 17 October, 19:03
Kyiv not to congratulate Putin on his birthday, - Peskov 7 October, 20:15
In Kyiv March of heroes' glory is over 14 October, 18:33
Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators 21 October, 22:18
- UA & EU20:19"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:33"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:45Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
- SOCIETY14:03Belavia’s passenger plane forcibly landed in Zhuliany airport in Kyiv
- POLITICS13:13Lutsenko: Every third local prosecutor replaced across Ukraine
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars