The New Year tree, also known as the Christmas tree, is the main symbol of both holidays. It brings warmth and holiday spirit into your house and simply delights the eye. That’s why it’s crucial to spend some time when you choose a living tree for the house. Before you choose among the large number of trees, keep in mind several hints listed below.
- Define the size of the tree as it depends on where you want to put it.
- Fir-needles should be all green; if there are dried red or brown needles, chances are the tree was chopped down a while ago, and it won’t last long in your apartment. If you want to be absolutely sure about the tree’s freshness, warm the end of a twig with your breath. If you smell the nice fragrance of fir needles, the tree was only cut down recently.
- Check whether the fir needles fall down. Just give a little shake to the tree, If the needles are still in place – take the tree , you made the right choice. Remember, fir needles shouldn’t break or fall easily; they should be flexible even in freezing temperatures. The same is the case for twigs – they should be bushy and flexible at all times.
- Take a good look at the tree stem. Dark spots on it mean the tree was cut down long time ago. A healthy Christmas tree has no trails of mould, fungi or other signs of diseases. The tree stem should be from 6 to 10 cm in diameter. If it’s thinner than that, it means the tree didn’t have enough nutrition and minerals. Such tree will soon lose its needles and wither.
- After you buy a live tree, transport it properly. Wrap the tree with piece of bagging and tie it with a rope. Carry it with the top of the tree facing your rear, but when you carry it inside the house, make sure the top of the tree faces the front door.
- If you buy the Christmas tree well ahead of the New Year, keep it in some cold place. But don’t set and adorn it immediately after you bought the tree – rapid temperature change will do no good to it. If it’s freezing outside, leave the tree in the apartment for 20 minutes or so. Thus, it will defrost and adjust to the warmer temperature. Now you can adorn the tree to taste!
There’s nothing complicated about choosing a nice Christmas tree. Do not hurry, remember these hints – and your tree will bring joy to you and your close ones till the end of the holidays!
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
- FINANCE18:44Groysman provides electronic declaration of his possessions
- POLITICS17:57Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo
- SOCIETY17:15Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences
- POLITICS16:26Putin is ready to negotiate with any US president
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:43Trilateral Contact Group meeting kicks off in Minsk
- SOCIETY15:05Novel “Airport” nominated for Shevchenko Award in Ukraine
- FINANCE14:58Groysman: Cabinet to raise minimal salary in Ukraine to USD 125
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:14‘DPR’ capture Ukrainian citizen, charge her with preparing to kidnap their comrade
- UA & EU13:30MP: Netherlands should take responsibility for decision on EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case