Halloween in Ukraine: misterious places for celebration All Saints' Day
Some say the holiday has been celebrated in Ukraine for centuries
A lot of hype and a lot of discussion on celebrating Halloween in Ukraine take place.
It is said that mass celebrations of Halloween started after Ukraine has become independent, and that this holiday came to Ukraine from English-speaking countries. Well, maybe the word "Halloween" came to the country in the beginning of the 90s or in the late twentieth century, but this holiday had been celebrated in Ukraine for centuries. Particularly, on the eve of All Saints' Day. The old people remember their children tricks, when they carved the pumpkins in the late days of October and scared the neighbors.
Ukrainian church states that All Saints' Day, known as Halloween, in Ukraine is wrongly interpreted. Today it is accompanied by dressing as characters of evil spirits and the dead, carrying inflammation sinister fixtures allegedly look like real occultism, which is quite contrary to gospel principles.
Still Ukrainian youth culture absorbed the traditions of Halloween celebrations: costumes, parties, and pumpkin symbolism. In4to has prepared some spooky places with appropriate atmosphere for celebrating Haloween.
The self-proclaimed leader of annexed Crimea stated that Halloween is "a hideous show wich contradicts the spiritual and cultural traditions of Russia. The Orthodox Church and the spiritual leaders of Russian Muslims have repeatedly urged Russians not to participate in the celebrations, which are held on Halloween".
Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes 25 October, 15:15
Trilateral contact group returns to work in Minsk, - Tandyt 25 October, 13:44
Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine 25 October, 17:32
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:18Stratfor: Motorola murdered either by militants or Russian special services
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:15Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas