France celebrates Bastille Day
The national holiday is celebrated annually since 1880
On July 14, the French nation celebrates the Bastille Day, one of the most popular and favorite national holidays in this country.
Traditionally, the military parade took place in Paris. Leaders of the country participated – President Francois Hollande, Prime Minister Manuel Valls, members of the government and many other officials were present. U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry joined the festivities, too.
Troops marched across Champs d’Elysees, among them were members of the Foreign Legion and even Maori warriors, who eventually turned the most attention to the ceremony. Soldiers from Australia and the New Zealand took part in the ceremonies as well, as the French mark the 100th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme.
July 14 is considered the beginning of the Great French Revolution. On that day, the Bastille, the fortress and the prison for political prisoners, was captured. These events eventually led to the fall of monarchy in the country, while July 14 is now the day of national unity for the French people.
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
Normandy four meeting finished, Poroshenko leaves 20 October, 00:58
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 16 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- POLITICS23:21MPs to increase themselves salaries as of November 1
- SOCIETY22:18Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators
- SOCIETY21:39Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY20:34Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:31OSCE SMM: Disarmament paused in Donbas
- POLITICS19:31Italy’s Renzi forces retreat from new sanctions on Russia
- POLITICS19:14New leak from WikiLeaks: Obama’s emails from 2008 campaign revealed
- UKRAINE TOP 18:35Searches at Kseniya Babych: National Union of Journalists of Ukraine express their concern
- SOCIETY18:17Searches at Kseniya Babych: Investigators believe first interrogation is most important
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars