Former political prisoner Afanasyev gets apartment in Kyiv
‘There’s hope for other Ukrainians in Crimea to get a new life when they get released’, he says
Hennadiy Afanasyev, ex-political prisoner in Russia, received a new apartment in Kyiv. He posted that at Facebook on Tuesday.
‘Russian Federation took away my land, my sea and mountains, my home and my freedom. Today, thanks to the Ukrainian nation, the government and the international society, I’m free. Unfortunately, I cannot get back to my home city. Now, my aspirations and social activity demand that my presence here, in Kyiv. Now the issue’s settled, and I got my own apartment, which I hope will become my home for quite a while. I reckon such actions of the government give hope for the rest of Crimean citizens that they’ll get a new life as soon as they get released’, he posted.
Ukrainian activist Hennadiy Afanasyev was detained in Crimea in May 2014. Russian law enforcers arrested him on charges of ‘terrorism’. Afanasyev and his comrade, Ukrainian businessman Yuriy Soloshenko, returned to Ukraine on June 2016, thanks to continuous diplomatic efforts and a presidential pardon in Russia.
Panov and Zahtey in Lefortovo 14 October, 12:49
Ukraine in UN: Occupied Crimea militarization is dangerous for Europe 13 October, 12:38
Ukraine sues Russia for illegal capture of its gas assets in Crimea 19 October, 11:27
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:18Stratfor: Motorola murdered either by militants or Russian special services
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:15Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas