Find out more about Jamala: profile and best songs
We offer you to get to know Jamala's story
Susanna Alimovna Jamaldinova had Crimean Tatars origin and Armenian roots. Her father – Alim Ayarovych Jamaladinov, is Crimean Tatr and her mother – Galyna Mykhailivna Tumasova, is Armenian. Jamala was born on August 27, 1983 Osh (Kyrgyzstan) since her family was in deported there. Exactly this is main subject of Jamala’s song.
She spent her childhood in Crimea.
She has been studying music from the early childhood. Her first professional record was made when she was 9 years old. After the graduation from National Music Academy in Kyiv specializing in opera singing she planned to go to Teatro alla Scala in Milan. But her interest and passion for jazz and soul changed her plans.
During her carrier she participated in different music competitions and contest. One that made a massive impact on her future life was participation in New Wave in 2009. Jamala not just made it to the final and received a grand prize of the festival.
After the victory in New Wave Jamala graded into a Top performers rank. Cosmopolitan titles her as an Opening of the Year, she gets ELLE Style Award as the Singer of the Year and prize as the Person of the Year 2009 in nomination Ukrainian idol.
In November 2009 her debute video came along, a cover version of Propellerheads History Repeating.
“Downpoor”. The song was presented on the occasion of the anniversary of Revolution of Dignity in Ukraine in 2014.
After numerous achievements in Ukraine she participates in Eurovision 2016 and wins with song 1944.
U.S. doesn’t recognize Russia’s ban of Mejlis of Crimean Tatars 1 October, 11:00
Ukraine demands that Russia stops prosecutions of Crimean Tatars 12 October, 14:28
Smedlyayev: Russian federal security service arrests more Crimean Tatars 12 October, 16:03
- UKRAINE TOP 15:01“Putin is a nit:” Savchenko’s most scandalous statements
- POLITICS11:09NATO is preparing for Russian military aggression
- UKRAINE TOP 23:21Savchenko’s factor at Russian court hearing on Klyh-Karpyuk case
- SOCIETY20:32Crimea: zone of lawlessness
- POLITICS17:13More proposals than complaints: Ukrainians' appeals to Parliament - infographics
- UA & EU16:22Netherlands rejects EU-Ukraine deal: What will happen to the Ukraine’s AA?
- UA & EU14:20EU increases trade protection: Сonsequences for Ukraine
- POLITICS13:015 versions of the mysterious deaths in unrecognized LPR republic
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:45Escalation at Mariupol direction: Russian blackmail and unwillingness to fulfill agreement
- SOCIETY23:15The Great Ukrainian: Biography of Bogdan Hawrylyshyn
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case